Thursday, November 08, 2007

A Total Crock

Sadly, I'm still combing through some of the products that my friend Charlie sent me to review. I'm on a hiatus until school ends, but I'm trying to finish my end of the deal.

Being from the Midwest, I grew up with crock pots (or slow cookers as some people call them). My mom cooked a lot of things in crock pots and they became a staple for most Midwestern winter meals.

I decided to try out the Slow Cooker Liners by Reynolds. These are used to line the crock pot so that you don't have to wash them after you cook the meal.

First, let me tell you that as an avid recycler and believer in reducing the carbon footprint, I think the world is creating too many things it doesn't need. Using plastic that takes 1000 years to decompose in order to save yourself two minutes of washing dishes isn't something I can readily endorse.

However, this is about trying a product and I felt like I needed to give it a fair chance. So Larry made pepper steak yesterday for my return. As luck would have it, the liners don't really work.

First, there is no easy way to wrap these things around the pot. There is no elastic to hold it in place and Larry had to put all the ingredients in carefully so the plastic wouldn't fall in. Then he had to use the lid to keep the liner in place.

But best of all, after 8 hours of cooking, this what the pot looked like. I still had to wash the pot because the plastic discolored on the side of the pot.

So save your money and save the environment. These really don't do much of anything for you.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I never thought they'd be very good in the actual execution anyway. And really - how hard is it to wash a crock pot? If the very worst happens and something DOES stick to those slick sides (and it's not happened to me yet, and I use my crock pot fairly often), you fill the thing with water, turn it on low and leave it to run overnight. Problem solved...

9:18 PM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Bleh. We tried them once. Once.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

You're right about the environment, carbon footprint, and wasteful products, but I'd be more concerned about cooking my dinner in a shower cap. Who knows what the hell kind of chemicals are leaching out of that nice soft plastic into my food? Oh wait, we do know.

6:43 AM  
Blogger M&Co. said...

We tried them once and that was our experience too. Bleah!

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought I would say this, but "hurray" for this being a failure... for all the reason you (and the other commenters) mentioned.

This is a "solution" in search of a problem.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Darren said...

Good for you for posting the negative review. I'm not sure whether to post or not if I don't like something...so far I've declined receiving anything I don't think I'll like.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home