Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's day

It took about four days to rid myself of the jet lag. Seriously, 14-hours flights are ridiculous.

A quick recap on the last day, we opted to take the sunset tour of Angkor Wat, which is actually done from the neighboring temple of Phnom Bakeng. The temple sits way above Angkor Wat and offers a much better view of the complex. Unfortunately, it was overcast, but we did compensate by taking another elephant ride up to the top.

The temple was still another opportunity to appreciate what these people built hundreds of years ago. I was constantly in awe. Sadly, my reflective moments of silence were interrupted by Ceci who joined us for this excursion. Holy crap does that woman talk.

Ceci also doesn't seem to have a clue what to wear for these trips. Here she is on the ADA required steps up to the top of the temple. Clearly, her 'closure of the escape 27 years ago' included a clutch bag and capris.

But every dark cloud has a silver lining. As we left Phnom Bakeng, we were greeted by this amazing view of Angkor Wat at night.

We enjoyed one more evening of Cambodia and their downtown night life. We ate our last meal at the Red Piano, which prides itself on having served dinner to Angelina Jolie. People here are obsessed with her and Brad. Sad to think that is the cultural influence we provide.

Another weird obsession here is Pringles. They are everywhere. Now I'm not bitching because they were a nice reminder of home, but come on...Pringles? Why not Starbucks?

Once I finally arrived home, it was nice to just settle into my old routines. Going back to work was tough; not because I don't like it but rather the petty issues seemed so small after seeing whole families live on boat and peddle fruit. We never really appreciate what we have in front of us.

The experience left me a little humbled if anything. Not to fear, I'm still sarcastic as hell, but it was humbling nevertheless.

Corey came over this past weekend for Father's Day. It was a great weekend for all of us. We got haircuts on Saturday and then went to a birthday party that afternoon. The goody bags included a Speed Racer helmet which he wore the rest of the weekend.

On Sunday, we made pancakes for breakfast and then the three of us went to go see Kung Fu Panda. Jack Black totally makes this movie and we were all laughing our butts off.

My father's day present was another gem. When kids hear something you say, they hang onto it forever. So it'd better be something you are proud to have repeated. This is what he wrote for his Father's Day card and had laminated. I'm going to soon run out of wall space with all of these framed items.

My daddy hugs and he loves me. He is funny when he says look at my big fat belly.

Here's wishing all you dads a great Father's day and shouts out to the women who made us all fathers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Your family portrait is GORGEOUS! Thank you so much for sharing that.

Welcome home, my friend. I can't IMAGINE a 14 hour flight, so I can't even begin to contemplate what kind of hell that such a thing would raise for one's internal clock. I'm glad you're back in your environment, though. What are you going to do with all this newfound perspective?

The idea of being sure what we say is noble (or, at the very least, not obscene) is a big one. It really IS amazing what kids latch on to, and I try to be ever mindful of my BEHAVIOR, more than anything else. If I say one thing and do another, you'd better believe the girls are going to catch on and call me on it. Being a parent makes me a better human being.

Love you!

Chili

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home