Monday, May 14, 2007

A Tale of Two Sittings

Breakfast has never been my strong suit.

It's not about being tired. When I wake up, I could do my taxes. I'm that annoying guy who bounces out of bed in the mornings and if I had to choose between sleeping in and getting online, well... you've seen how early some of my posts are.

What sucks for me is preparing my morning meal. Before turning 40, it was easy to just eat doughnuts, bagels & cream cheese or cinnamon rolls every day. And now having Corey, it's easier to eat waffles.

I traditionally have the same thing for breakfast everyday; a shake made with OJ, bananas, frozen strawberries and soy powder. I had probably eaten that for 8 years. As you know, I'm a creature of routine, but even my body was screaming, "Dude, try something else for a change."

(We call each other 'Dude'.)

A month or so, my friend Charlie sent me some cereal bars to review which have now anchored my mornings. However, he seems loaded with morning meal products and asked me to try two cereals...two healthy adult cereals.

Traditionally, I'm not a cereal guy. Consistency is a huge problem and I don't do mushy things. Flan, cottage cheese, mango, eggs over easy...I can't get them down. And cereal, after it's been in milk for about minute, works the same way. For years, I'd douse my cereal in orange juice. It may be disgusting, but the flakes stayed firm for a few minutes longer. For Charlie though, I would test them in milk.

The first cereal was Nature Valley Oat's & Honey. This by far is probably the healthiest thing I've ever put into my body. As I said, I'm not a huge cereal fan, so my biggest test was having it stay firm in milk. It lasted longer than most cereals, but after a few minutes, this also became too soggy for my taste buds. I tried another bowl sans liquid and enjoyed the taste much more.

I decided to pull an oldie but goodie and thought, "Hey, I'll give it to Larry. He'll eat it. He'll eat anything." He gave it three stars (outta four) indicating it was healthy by his standards, but that there were two competing tastes that didn't actually work well together. But it was 100% natural and met his health standards. It also comes in a cinnamon flavor for those of you who agree with him.

The second cereal was Fruity Cheerios. This was so much more my style. I was expecting (hoping?) that my first bite would be reminiscent of Fruit Loops, but it was little more healthier tasting since it wasn't heavily ridden with sugar. (It says 25% less sugar than most cereals.) Honestly, it felt better to eat than the breakfast lifesavers normally marketed to kids

Again, it didn't stand up to my milk standards, but the "O's"did great in OJ. I actually ate the entire bowl. Corey had a bowl as well and then snacked on about three cups of dry cereal throughout the day. This one is made with whole grains and is made from 100% real fruit juice. So he feels like he's eating fruit loops, but I know he's not.

We continue to prove I'm not a cereal guy, but at least there are ones I can eat dry if I had to.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Amie Adams said...

I can't imagine my life without cereal. I've taken breaks from time to time when I'm trying to low-carb it, but it's one of the things I miss the most.

Don't suppose you like rice pudding either. Mmmmm.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Darren said...

Last week I ate about a half box of Fruity Cheerios from the box while I was watching TV. Does that count as pre- or post-40 behavior?

12:35 AM  
Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

Unless I am desperate to get something in me fast at any time of day, (in which case, I eat any cereal with milk), I tend to snack on cereal while watching tv...as opposed to popcorn. I just got to liking Life and Captain Crunch. Bad, I know.

5:25 PM  
Blogger nylonthread said...

Sprinkle the fruity cheerios with a pinch of cardomom and the taste will come closer to froot loops. And, of course, more sugar will get you there, too.

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm like mamma -- I love me some cereal.

And The Boy is addicted to the Fruity Cheerios. So much so, I use them to bribe him to the car in the mornings.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast. I think I had oatmeal every day of my life until I was about five or six, at which point I switched over to Cheerios -- just the plain kind, thank you -- for the next decade. Recently, though, I skip breakfast more often than not. Whether I'm rushing to work or rushing to feed three hungry (and fussy) kids, my own breakfast never seems to be a priority...

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home