Monday, February 11, 2008

When I Am an Old Man I Shall Wear Whatever

Answer: 40-41.
Question: What age do you become middle age?

It's winter. This month, we've had weather in the teens. I know for some of you (Mrs. Chili) that's a laugh, but one of the reasons I moved away from Chicago was the cold weather. I hate it. This is tolerable, but not by much. The moment I can move to Arizona or the equator, I'm saying goodbye to the nation's capital.

I travel to work by Metro. Normally in the city, I'm jamming to my iPod; keeping in step with the music. And frankly, I look cool. There are some badly dressed folks out there and I would sacrifice comfort for looks. Until this year.

My ears just got too cold.

So I pulled out the knit stocking cap. OMG was I warm. Add to it that my head phones stayed in the whole time. I kept thinking to myself why didn't I do this earlier?

Then I caught my reflection in one of the store windows. I am my dad. (Sorry dad.) Honestly, that's not a bad thing. It's just a moment every son is convinced will never happen.

I looked as myself, all bundled up; my hair slightly sticking up as I remove my cap for the metro ride. (Note to self: hair gel and stocking caps do not mix well.) I realize that I don't give a crap what anyone thinks about my hair or my looks. I'm 40+, most likely off the market for good, and have the slightest bulge of a grad school tummy. Who the hell do I need to impressed?

Let me just say, when you hit that moment in your life, it's both inspiring and depressing all in one fell swoop. Regardless, I'm warm.

This afternoon as I was walking home, there was a man in his 20's walking next to me. All he wore was a light jacket that was completely unzipped. I wore my hat and gloves despite it being 39 degrees. We both glanced over at each other and probably had the same thoughts.

"This guy is dressed like a total idiot."

10 Comments:

Blogger Amie Adams said...

A knit hat makes you look like your dad?? Maybe you should go for a cooler knit hat.

But I agree. I'd rather warmth than fashion.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Oh, most CERTAINLY warmth over fashion, though I do have to say that it IS possible to be warm and cute at the same time. I'll email you a photo of me in my favorite hat.

I also completely agree with the "inspiring and depressing" statement. There is comfort in knowing that you've already impressed everyone who's important, and terror in knowing that you're likely repelling everyone else.

Do let me know when you head for the equator; I'll come with you!

love you!

Chili

7:54 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

You'd need a hat more often if you lived further north. I rarely ever wear one, but I'm not 40 yet.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Daddy L said...

We Canadians call those caps Toques. They are the head wear de rigeur up here.

And Canadians are fucking HOT looking, despite what anyone else thinks.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Lola and Ava said...

I could always knit you one . . . since you know, I know how. Favorite color, by any small chance? I forget what your answer was to the Crayola question back in college.

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know you, but you are cool. And warm. :)

Bonnie

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, at 40 I've started wearing the socks with the sandals. Not the dark socks, mind you. I'm not THAT old. But it's a slippery slope, my friend, and we're a rollin' down it...

12:51 PM  
Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

Amen, brother.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

You DID see this
post of me, didn't you? All I can say is... I'm with you brother!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Crazy Computer Dad said...

Steve,
A good friend of mine from high school and I swore we wouldn't be like our dads...but we point it our in our conversations, I can hear it in my voice, and I cannot deny that I look just like him. On the other side of that, I have a son that bears a remarkable resemblance to me in more ways than I care admit.

I shaved my head so that I could put sunscreen on it to protect it from the sun during the summer and not have to wear any kind of hat. It is convenient now so I keep it that way. I still avoid wearing a hat in the winter though. I'm only 39 so maybe I still have a year or two before the next change....

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home