Saturday, July 12, 2008

Feel the Magic

Hi Blog,

Remember me? Yeah, I know...it's been a while. Nothing personal, I swear. I just sort of tired out and didn't think I had that much to say. But I've returned and will try to keep more connected.

I'm actually in Chicago. My company's annual meeting is here in my hometown. It is great when you get a free trip to visit people just because you have a business trip there as well.

I'll be staying downtown until Tuesday and then head out to my parents. Larry & Corey will fly out Wednesday morning and then we will visit through the weekend.

The meeting has gone well so far...given that it really only started this morning. I was at a convention center at O dark thirty this morning to set up for a meeting that would take place 2 hours later. However, the job wasn't too bad; I was running the 'green room' for Magic Johnson.

I'm not a huge a celebrity person. They are great but I don't get all worked up if I know they are coming or I get to meet them. (Christopher Meloni and Mike Rowe however...I would wet my pants to meet either of you.) Out side of both of them, it's not that big of a deal.

But it turns out my boss is a HUGE star-fucker. He LOVES meeting famous people and was in heaven to spend the morning with Magic.

Mr. Johnson (as he likes to be called) could not have been nicer. He's now involved with his own non-profit foundation that works to improve low income communities. He spoke to a bunch of community college administrators about the contribution of higher education to their communities back home.

I 'hosted' the VIP photo shoot prior to his speaking event. He took pictures with some of the administrators and of course, my boss. A few other staff got their photos taken as well. When they finished, my boss offered me the chance to get my photo taken. I politely declined figuring that Mr. Johnson was tired of the photos.

"You don't want to get your photo taken with me? Why not?" Magic turned to me and asked.

I looked up at this 6'9" giant towering over me.

"I'll be right there."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could have taken him. The taller they are the easier to punch in the groin has always been my motto.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

welcome back. I missed you, but wasn't going to give you any shit about being away; I figured you needed some time to get over jet-lag/culture shock after your trip.

I'm not impressed by fame. They're real people, just like we are; the recognition of one's face or the size of one's bank account has about zero to do with the content of one's character (though I do think it's funny that HE insisted on the photo...)

6:41 PM  
Blogger Whit said...

Goodbye Mr. Johnson, hello ebay!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Bacchus said...

Well you are a celebrity blogger aren't you? Maybe he had heard of you?

I have a friend who is a star fucker and he always gets exasperated with me when I'm not impressed at who he met.

Eartha Kitt, yes would totally flip out. Christopher Meloni, hmmmmm the things I could do and say.

Glad you're back.

8:51 PM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

He is a big man.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Childsplayx2 said...

It's good to see you back.

You have to post that photo!

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home