Thursday, February 08, 2007

MISSING: Blogline Blogs

Every once in a while, I'll think to myself, "Hmm, I haven't read much on (fill in your favorite blog here). I wonder when the last time he/she wrote anything?"

And then I'll go to my bloglines account and....the blog isn't there. Seriously. In the past month, I've found that three blogs just disappeared from my list, the most recent being Cynical Dad (who btw, lists a song of the day and I have no idea why--I'm so behind the times.)

I'm kind of mad with Bloglines for this mysterious occurrence. Hey Admins of that site, I rely on you to manage the 80+ blogs I read. RSS feed is crucial to my survival. (There's no waste of drama in this family.)

But worse yet...and you'll think me silly... I'm embarrassed. I wonder how long I've been missing their posts; a week... maybe two? What major events happened that I should know about? OMG, did they wonder why I didn't comment? (Then I actually worry more if I'm transforming into a 12 year old girl who's worrying that her friends aren't IMing or linking her in facebook.)

Anywho, the major point of the story is my disappointment with Bloglines. I've realized that I need to keep better tabs on the overall number of blogs that I watch and discover earlier when one is missing. Kind of a pain when the whole reason I subscribe is NOT to have to pay attention to blogs in that way.

Do any of you have this same problem?

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger mr. big dubya said...

Abandon Bloglines! Abandon Bloglines! My suggestion is to move to Google Reader - trust me on this one. You will be much happier.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Can a person really just abandon bloglines. Sounds like a big step. I haven't noticed any problems worth the hassle of dumping the entire enchilada. If you dump it and hold my hand I will dump it too.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had different problems with bloglines, but I'm afraid to change.

It took me so freaking long to figure out this system, I am scared I would never be able to figure out Google Reader.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Yondalla said...

I switched to Google Reader...well... I set up Google Reader and never closed by Bloglines account. I like Google much better.

Aside from just being more reliable it keeps all the posts in the reader. So when you click on Hygiene Chronicles you have access to all the posts right there.

It's easy to use. You just clicke "Add Subscription" and then type (copy/paste) the url of the blog.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Kelly O said...

Hello! You can export your subscriptions from Bloglines and import them into Google's Reader (and vice versa). Google is much more stable, but it doesn't seem to update quite as frequently. (So a friend could post at 11am and it might not show up on Reader until 1pm.)

Ehem. Yes, I'm down with OCD.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Idaho Dad said...

Here's another vote for Google Reader. I've been using it for about six months. Never a problem. I subscribe to 143 blogs.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

143 blogs????

How on earth do you find the time to read all those. I struggle with about 30

3:53 PM  
Blogger Mitch McDad said...

i just switch to google reader....it's so easy to set up and use it's silly. I simply abandoned bloglines.

2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I have made the move to GoogleReader from BlogLines and I really like it. I didn't notice Cynical Dad hadn't updated but I finally went there to see when he had last posted, and I'd missed a BUNCH of posts.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Steve S said...

Google reader seems to be the way the trend is going. I use blogrolling.com, sometimes it doesn't list updates for days.

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so freakin bizarre - Bloglines completely dropped Cynical Dad from mine as well - I was like hmmmm, where did he GO? I manually added it back and it hasn't happened again but very strange to read the same thing (same blog!) happened to you..

3:24 PM  
Blogger Darren said...

Great. Just today I finally got a bloglines account going so I could catch up on reading and maybe leave a comment before a post was two or three weeks old. This was one of the first few blogs I checked out and I find out that bloglines has issues. Maybe I'll be looking into that export feature.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home