Thursday, January 11, 2007

O Ye of Little Faith

By nature, I'm a cynical person. It's just the way I grew up; dog-eat-dog world, every man for themselves. You get the picture.

I try hard to be a good person these days. I go to church; I recycle; I donate to charity. But I also slam people behind their backs sometimes or tell jokes at their expense and then apologize explaining--and justifying-- it was only for the laugh.

Two months ago, I bought some ImagiNext toys on eBay for Corey. The woman who sold me the toys lived 25 minutes away, so it was a good hike to get them, but the toys were in great shape. I bought the pirate ship, skull island and the fortress. There were pictures of all of them but her son had disassembled them for pick up.

She apologized profusely for the struggle I would have putting them back together. When I arrived to pick them up on her doorstep, she had added a jet fighter and a tank with army men for my troubles. (The tank makes SO MUCH NOISE when you push the buttons that I think her generosity was a win for her as well.)

When I got home, she was right; putting them together was a disaster, but Corey loves them and that's what matter. It's obvious the parts are jury-rigged due to this dad's best ability.

Today, in the mail, arrived an envelope from California. Inside were the instructions for the toys along with a brief note saying they had been found in the move.

Who takes the time like that to make the world a little better? Not many people, but you Chris B. are one of them.

There are times we think what we do doesn't matter. This past week, two bloggers announced they are (or contemplating) ending their blogs. The one I'm friends with mentioned that he struggled with what to write about. We, with 2-4 years olds, can marvel in our kids bowel movements. He, with an 11 year old, has a difference set of rules to adhere to and feels there is nothing cute or funny to discuss.

It had me worrying about the blog thing being a fad. Right now, I can't see me NOT writing. It's the one thing I love more than anything. And the blog has helped it grow and honestly, be heard. I'd still write without it, but it clarifies my thoughts when I think of an audience reading it.

First to D... I'm sorry you are thinking about ditching your blog. I love reading yours along with the rest of you who write. It's so strange to be this family of writers that enjoys hearing what each other has to think. How weird to have a cyber connection to those you'd never recognize without a URL.

And to the rest of you who read us, every now and then, say hi; tell us what you think. We write because we love to. But it means that much more to us to know you love it as well.

This week has been named "Delurking Week" (OK, seriously who names this shit?) Turn the tables for us just this once and say hi. Most blogs allow you to do it anonymously, so take the plunge. Help us celebrate our joy of writing.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

Hi! I just found your blog and I am enjoying it.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. This whole blogging thing is so new that it's interesting to see how we form relationships with people we respect and whose writing we enjoy. I was also bummed to learn that Melissa and David were ending their blogs. However, I still consider them friends and greatly look forward to meeting them in person one day. It all does sound so strange, doesn't it?

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know how long it has been since I clicked to comment and say hi...so Hi. I'm delurking.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose there is a natural life of a blog. I haven't given it much thought just yet. Anyway, here's hoping yours as a nice long healthy life.

Cheers!

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always around, but I anyway.

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, um, I meant hi.

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read every entry you write but hardly comment because I'm slack. I really enjoy reading your site.

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine blogs will last forever. It actually took me a long time to figure out what I wanted to write about and every so often I still wonder if I chose the right 'theme'.

I like to talk politics, but found that the online debaters/opponents don't make for good visitors to a family oriented blog, so gave up talking politics.

I think what would be most likely to keep a blog going, is when we talk about ourself. When I talk about Kristin, right now she's young enough it might be all cute and fun, but I think when she's older, I'll be able to write about my worries about boys, stress with schoolwork, girls hormonal changes, and hopefully there will be readers out there to help.

I've also blogged recipes, my experiences growing up gay and creating a family through surrogacy, longing for acceptance and a small town lifestyle, etc. Things that are more representative of me as a family guy, rather than 'Kristin the star of the blog'.

By making it a diary this way, I should always have something to write about.

Always having readers might be a different thing though. By changing my blog's purpose around a bit, I've seen readers come and go.

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I first started writing just to create a record of what's going on. I love looking back at the things I wrote only a year ago, so I can't imagine how glad I'll be twenty years from now to have those memories written down. Of course, I didn't have to make those memories public. By choosing to blog, I entered into a community of people whom I'll likely never meet but have still become important parts of my daily life. I gain a lot from reading what other people have to say, and I hope that others get something from the stories I tell. People have been doing that since Homer was rhyming about Odysseus. I don't see that stopping anytime soon.

2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Sent over here by Crouton Boy. Was bemoaning the fact that I wasn't reading fun DC Metro bloggers. Keep hearing about folks getting together in other cities (casually for beer--not a conference). He pointed me your way.

Great blog!! I'll be back.

4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister and I will really miss your Idol recaps but can totally understand your reasons for "letting go." Take care. Maybe some day we will meet in Tucson.
Sincerely, Css (Richie's mom)

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home