Sunday, May 25, 2008

Good Morning, Vietnam

Vietnam time: 6:25 AM Monday
DC time: 7:25 PM Sunday

Greetings from 13 times zones away. I have finally made it to Vietnam.

I checked into my hotel last night after 24 hours of flying. My class left Washington Dulles at 1:00 PM on a 14-hour direct flight to Seoul, Korea. Honestly, it was the biggest plane I've ever flown in and the turbulence was minimum. The guy next to me didn't get up for the first 8 hours. All I kept thinking about was the embolism stories I heard about from sitting too long. Most of us got up hourly and walked around.

The plane had all the amenities you'd want. 36 movies to choose from, TV shows, video games all controlled from a command module attached to your seat. I watched six movies to keep me occupied and NO, I didn't really sleep on the flight. The food ROCKED out as well and the flight attendants all looked like Robert Palmer video babes. Korean Airlines, you are the best airline EVER.

From Seoul, we had a 4-hour layover and then another 5-hour flight to Hanoi. The difference in weather was noticeable. At midnight, it was 93 degrees and humid. Exhausted from flying, we landed and made our ways through customs. We climbed a bus & headed 45-minutes into the city and made our way to this...our hotel.

UMM, holy shit is this place great. It was neat at night and now looks even cooler this morning. The rooms are amazing and mine has a balcony right on the water. Unfortunately, the humidity is so fierce that my camera keeps fogging up, so hopefully I'll get some non-internet generated photos later today.

I'm still overcoming a bit of jet lag but that should lessen by today. We have a walking tour of old Hanoi this morning and then a meeting with the Ministry of Finance this afternoon. It should be amazing.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

See? This is why I love it when my friends travel and blog about it. I had no idea that such a thing even existed in Vietnam. I was sure you'd be staying in a grass-thatched hut. Okay, maybe not QUITE that primitive, but I wasn't expecting such over-the-top posh, either.

I'm sorry about the humidity. I'm reminded of Robin Williams in Good Morning Vietnam; The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.

Be well, and keep blogging! I'm totally living vicariously through you, My Dear!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Idaho Dad said...

Wow! I want to go back to school and get another MBA just to be able to do something like this.

Have fun!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Whit said...

That's freaking awesome. Except the humidity.

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make sure you go see Halong Bay. I've got some great recs for restaurants and other cool places if you're in Hanoi for awhile. E-mail me if you want them. Have a great time!

1:48 AM  
Blogger Daddy Cool said...

Wow! I'm so jealous.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home