Friday, June 08, 2007

Fiber Topics

I have never met my friend Charlie (the product guy), but he seems to be a regular guy. And with all the fiber-related products he gives me, I'm becoming one as well.

Last time, he had me reviewing Fiber One bars and now he has given me two other fiber products made by the folks from Metamucil.

The Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences suggests Americans should consume 21 to 38 grams of fiber per day. However, the average American consumes only 10 to 15 grams of fiber per day.

With 5 grams of fiber in 1 heaping teaspoon of Fibersure, it’s not hard to actually get that amount. The powder is easy to add to just about anything to boost fiber intake. Just take a teaspoon and dump into your baking, your cooking or mix it into lemonade (which is what I've been doing). The powder is so sweet tasting that you don't even realize something healthy is going on.

For the record, my mom used to do this with our spaghetti sauce. She'd make it from scratch and then mush up carrots, beans, and any other vegetable she could get her hands on. We didn't know about it until we were in our teens.

But back to the Fibersure, this seems like a great way to increase your fiber intake and not really get grossed out with powders that lump up or get pasty. And you can try it for free here.

The other fiber supplement was Berry Burst. Sorry to say, but I hated it. You are supposed to mix this red powder into an 8 oz. glass of water. I was expecting a healthy Kool-aid. Instead is was like a trailer park drink; red colored water with the residue just piling up at the bottom.

While both products are a little higher in calories than one would hope for, it's all about the balance you need. I'm not one who adds good things to my body very easily, but the Fibersure was the better of the two for putting a little more natural fiber into my system.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home