Sunday, August 17, 2008

The 4 x 9-Month Relay

This weekend was a slap back into reality as I returned to school for 2nd (and final) year orientation. We're heading back into another 16 weeks of classes until I come up for air again at Christmas. As always, my commenting will be limited but this does give you all a bunch of agonizing stories discussing the benefits of declining-balance depreciation or activity-based costing models. And who isn't excited about that?

The five classes I have this semester are:
  • Managerial Accounting
  • IT Strategy
  • Corporate Political Strategy
  • Financial Strategy
  • Management of Technology & Innovation
Personally, I think that's just too much strategy. Where's the financing the home theater system by transferring credit card balances? That takes much more effort and skill.

The best part about this second year is that we switch up the teams. To say I had been saddled with the most challenging team this past year would be an understatement. My classmates begged the administrators not to change the teams, but rules are rules. (Thank God for rules.)

I'm pleased to say my new team might actually be the best of the five for this coming year. I have three others on my team and one of them is Katrina, a fellow 'mean girl' from Vietnam. We've been great friends since the day we began this program. Brendan is someone I don't know well, but in our initial meeting, we seem to have the same values as far as getting things done early and making sure everyone is open about communication.

The third member of our team has been nicknamed Super Dave. He's one of the smartest in our class and lucky for us, specializes in IT which will be helpful in a few of these classes. While he aces each class, he indicated that most of all, he enjoys teaching people when they are struggling with subjects. That was the thing I missed most about the last group; the chance to learn from others when I just wasn't understanding. Overall, the four of us seem very excited.

During yesterday's class, they announced the first years were beginning their opening residency today. It seems hard to even think about the two years they have ahead of them. Knowing I only have one is tough enough. But soon enough they will be smiling as they being their 2nd year.

I of course, will be cashing in from all the school books I've sold on Half.com.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Seriously, Honey? Your course schedule makes my eyes cross. It really does take all kinds, doesn't it?

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What MBA program are you in?

4:43 PM  
Blogger Kelly O said...

Your new team sounds awesome. I'm glad for you, but I'll miss the snark.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

5 classes! Wow, you're brave.
My wife started last week with "only" 2 and we're trying to figure out how to make this work.

And she still has another year of this.

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home