Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sweep the leg, Johnny

Yesterday, I had the great privilege of attending Corey's first Taekwondo belt ceremony. He's been taking classes for the past 3-4 months and learned all the moves to graduate to the next level. Happily, he passed his test on Monday and was given his orange belt last night. (Here he is with his Taekwondo face and leftover Oreo crumbs around his mouth.)

He seems to really enjoy the classes. They are social but also give him the chance to do something that he can take pride in accomplishing on his own.

The ceremony was very well done given that most kids were under the age of 8. First they all bowed. The parent tie the new belt on them, they bow again and then give 'huggies'. Warm fuzzies everywhere.

Corey has also learned to play tic-tac-toe. This is just one of the games you forget about until kids are around. Last time we played, I had to end it at 35 games. Holy crap, that goes on forever. For the record, I won 2 games, he won 2 and it was a draw the other 31 games.

School is in full gear and my team is amazing. This first week, our main project was completed by Tuesday and no one had any objections to the way it was done. We had two conference calls to go over homework and each person contributed. THIS is what I had hoped for in grad school.

The classes so far are interesting and not overwhleming. Perhaps I'm getting smarter? In an evil way, it's fun to watch the new students struggling in Statistics as we did last year. However, I feel we are giving them more practical advice on how to deal with things more so than we got from our predecessors.

Word on the streets is that this year's class might not be returning to Vietnam. Hopefully, it has more to do with the curriculum than not being welcomed back.

It will be a shame though; I need to place an order for more table runners.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

Congratulations, Corey!

We were thinking about you as we were at the playground today clogging on the merry go round. Wow. There's a sentence I never thought I'd write...

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If that computer in War Games played tic-tac-toe like I do it would have never come to the conclusion that nuclear war is futile. I have this really embarrassing habit of consistently loosing. Must be the way my brain is wired

2:15 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Yay, Corey! Pretty soon, you'll be able to kick Daddy's butt (if you can't already...Hhmmmm...Steve, maybe you should take classes WITH him...).

8:03 AM  
Blogger Whit said...

That's awesome. You better stay on his good side.

2:23 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

Congrats to Corey on the orange belt. We play endless tic-tac-toe too--usually at restaurants on the back of placemat.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Hey, my 12 year old daughter has been taking Karate all summer too and she absolutely LOVES it. I've never seen her so inspired by a hobby. I love it when a kid finds his or her own passion without us parents having to force it.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home