Thursday, September 18, 2008

Friending does not mean Friend

Okay, not to be all 12-year-old girlish, but you are not going to believe who tried to friend me on Facebook this morning?

(Waiting for you to guess)

Give up? FREAKING Laura...the infamous woman who this entire-online-world-of-mine-where-I-spill-my-guts-to-you-all is named after. (Was that grammatically correct?)

Seriously, I helped get her fired. We hated each other within the first day of working together. For the love of God, I left her in the middle of the Adolphus hotel lobby when she faked a hypoglycemic attack.

And now she friends me? (Don't get all turn the other cheek on me. This is not going to be one of those personal improvement stories. You're on my blog, play by my rules.)

So what do you think I did? (You're probably half right.)

I actually had to call over one of the 20-somethings in my office because I could not figure out how to ignore the invite from Laura on this new Facebook. That turned out to be a good thing because she also taught me how to block someone. I LOVE this software.

Truthfully, I should be a bigger person. At the same time, Facebook is about friendships and frankly she's not one of them.

But I promise, I'll definitely accept your request.

8 Comments:

Blogger Bacchus said...

What did we do before Facebook and Myspace allowed us to block annoying people. LOL

Although I there should be a "Who the F*#& are you kidding me" option.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Darren said...

Facebook is creating a whole new definition for the word "friend." It kinds of annoys me when people I remotely know add me as a friend without any personal message or don't even email to say anything. I feel like I'm there just to raise their friend count.

You were right to ignore and block her. More people should do that.

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, dude, I'm so psyched that I'm not the only one who had to turn to a 20-something at work and ask "what if I don't want to be her friend?"!

Geezers unite!

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was hilarious. I faced the same situation and I reached out to my 20 something coworkers.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Daddy L said...

My co-workers friend me as well. Now I actually like the people I work with, but I need a line between personal and professional life, friending co-workers blurs that line.

How would I rant on about a shitty day at work if half my office follows me?

What I do is accept their request, and then quietly remove them a week later. So far only one person has noticed. I get some privacy and I'm not perceived as the office snob, that is until more people notice.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I HAVE a Facebook page, but damn if I know how to use it. My blog is my primary portal into the online community.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused by Facebook. And I've been really wary about who I tell/add etc. because of those few people you just don't like.

I still have an old co-worker email me occasionally. We disliked each other intensely.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

"I left her in the middle of the Adolphus hotel lobby when she faked a hypoglycemic attack."

Dude, that's a novel in one sentence.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home