Monday, March 06, 2006

Stalking in Memphis

With this new job, I actually have to travel a bit. So here I am, on my first trip...in Memphis. Let me just say that Memphis is not all that it's cracked up to be.

The greatest part of traveling is learning about cultures that are different to your own. And nothing is more different for me than red neck America. How have I been integrated in that culture? It wasn't the cheering for BrokeBack Mountain to win Best Picture. It was the marching of the ducks at the Peabody Hotel.

Twice a day, five ducks arrive via the elevator from their "rooftop palace" to go swimming in the lobby fountain. Okay sure, I'm all for the marketing spin on things, but really..they are still just ducks.

I seem to be the only one with this mindset because the freaking lobby is packed each day with folks trying to take pictures of these birds as the shit down the red carpet on their way through the lobby. The pathway is blocked off with velvet ropes, so over a hundred specatators can watch them as they waddle back and forth.

The "oohhs" and "aahhs" are mind-boggling to me. I mean, these are ducks; the equivalent of floating squirrels. What is the appeal of watching this? And worse yet, I've seen folks get in line to watch this multiple times!

I got in the elevator with one of the conference attendees today and she was remarking how great the duck march was. I listened politely, but knew it would be hard not to be a shithead at my own meeting, so I changed the subject.

"Were you able to take in some of the local restaurants while you've been here?" I asked.

"Oh yes, she said. "We went to T.G.I.Fridays last night. Have you ever eaten there? It's wonderful.

'Nuff said.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin & Kristy's First Home said...

You do realize that the Peabody Ducks are true Roadside Americana at its best, don't you? Roadchix made a special trip just to see these guys.
www.roadchix.com/tennessee/peabody_ducks.htm
Ok, we pretty much agreed with you though.

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home